Saturday, December 6, 2008

Flat bonnets

After blurting out something about maybe being the first one with a flat Nagari bonnet (see comments on RFN-145) Peter G quickly came back with 'remember the prototype?' He's right of course but the photos were publicity shots and the car didn't have a carby. However, the flat bonnet obviously existed. The next question was 'did any of the 6-cylinder Nagaris have flat bonnets?' The only photo of a Holden 6 powered Nagari I have is this one (B8/35) that was owned at the time by Colin Sullivan. It has a very small bump right in the middle. Peter Bartolo later converted it to a 302 Ford. The other 2 six cylinder ones ended up with Ford V8s as well.
In the background is the orange 4-cylinder Nagari but that already had the bulge. That too was changed to a 302 V8.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember there being flat bonnet mould. I don't remember making any, though, which is not to say there weren't any made.

John L said...

Chris G writes:- "for some reason I can't get in and respond to your blog - I will sort it out.
As regards bonnets, my 289 was originally a flat bonnet as shown in the photo you have when Peter Mac had it.
Where I am confused though is around the nose on my car. Originally the car had round taillights, flat bonnet and Mk. 7 nose. It was in this state when Peter Mac had it and then my notes and yours say that Bob Taylor had it and modified it to the vertical Celica lights and the big wing. However notes also say that at this time it was changed to a Nagari nose and I'm not sure when the bonnet scoop (NSW model) went on.
What confuses me is the car as I have it has a Mk. 7 nose with the oval opening - the scars are still there for the wing and I have the vertical lights. You do say at some stage that there were 2 cars with the modified back. Is it possible that the photo you have of the car with the wing is the other one which would then make sense in looking at number plates and that mine has always had the Mk. 7 nose? What I have of it and all the repairs would indicate that the nose was there for some time."

John L said...

Chris,
The other Mk.7 with the Kamm tail and V8 is that of Bill Griffiths I am fairly sure. That car, I'm also sure has never had a Nagari nose. Look at the photo of the modified car and you will see that it does not have the smooth flowing lines at the front that the ex-Peter Marr Mk.7 has (also with a Nagari nose) and Bob put the Nagari nose on over the top of the old nose. He may have used lots of bog, he was a spray painter not a fibreglasser. As you know, the car had a monumental encounter with a stobie pole, maybe the nose fell off. I bet Colin can throw some more light on this.

Colin said...

The V8 Mk 7 now owned by Chris G definitely had the Nagari nose done by Bob Taylor. When I owned the car first had Mk 7 nose and when i owned it again in mid 1980's had this yukky nose simply stuck the front over the original nose. Tailights were Hillman Hunter but not the ones where Hillman and Aston Martin copied Bolwell.