Monday, December 8, 2008

Burnout

I'd like to join everybody else in congratulating Jamie Whincup in securing the 2008 V8 Supercar Championship. It's so long ago that he may not even remember, but I had made him a special go-kart suit when he was a kid. It was a special request from Graeme Whincup, who, at the time, I thought must have been his dad, but his dad is David. Graeme must be an uncle. Shows how much I know. Thanks Getty Images and Fairfax for this photo. It's Jamie's burnouts, celebrating his win that I wanted to talk about. Call me a silly old git if you like, but I think these burnouts send out the wrong messages. I don't think our town is all that different than others but Friday nights around here is the time that the young lads get fired up on Perkins' sponsors' product and demonstrate their burnout "expertise" to their mates. Already, a young 17 year-old has been cleaned up by an out of control Commodore as he stood too close to the "action". It's a very dangerous passtime. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Jamie himself crashed the Falcon doing a calebratory burnout in Tassie? He has shown us how good he is on the racetrack. I think he ought to leave it at that.

2 comments:

John L said...

Tony B from Canberra writes:-
"Great to see Ford on top and Winchup securing the title. What's this about Ford having to do a length chop so as to be shorter like a dunny door - they will look rather odd.
I agree with you donut burnouts are a hazard and need to be buried - example being set by those on the track does send the wrong message. As you say cars can get out of control no matter who sits behind the wheel."

Colin said...

C'mon John. Burnouts are fun -refer Tony's pics of him in Rothman's blue Mk 7. You must be getting old! I remember you converting a "T" intersection into a thru road in Hill Street. Was fun then. But I also agree: "Bloody young people - how dare they have so much fun".