Saturday, June 7, 2008

B8/1

I'm really only guessing that this is number 1. It's a good guess though because this picture is one of the release photos issued in 1969 featuring both Bolwell brothers. Copies of this are even held by the National Archives in Canberra. I dragged this picture out because the other day Colin was commenting on the ROH pressed steel wheels on a couple of the early Nagari racers and sure enough here they are again. Note also the one-piece side windows again.

Does anybody know what happened to this car after it left the factory? The only information I have is that it was traded in on a Cortina at a Sydney car yard in 1974.

3 comments:

Colin said...

looks good in white and is that a flat bonnet I see?
In 1969 -70 my hot EH used chromed versions of those wheels which is why I was surprised to see non alloy wheels in the early Nagari photos when by 1970 there were a huge number of presentable alloy wheels available

PeterG said...

I agree John I've always considered that car was B8/1 also.
I remember an interview with Graeme Bolwell, I think he said this photo was taken for the publicity shot, the car looked great with the flat bonnet but the carby had to be jettisoned for the sake of art.
I think this car was registered KHW.253 and appeared in the following articles - Aust Motor Manual Feb 1970, Sports Car World Feb 1970, and Custom Rodder #4, it appeared with the early Narari (Mk7) bonnet bulge - forward opening, no door glass and the ROH steel wheels.
Later in 1979 in Pedr Davis book - 'Australians on the Road' contains a photograph of an Orange/Yellow Nagari carrying the same Vic No. plate, in this photo it has wind-up door glass and factory Mags.
I've assumed, maybe incorrectly that this was the subject car of the Nagari 'colour' brochure, am I right or wrong?
I know I should get out more!!!!

John L said...

Another place I remember seeing this car was on a Weet-Bix card. It was part of a series on sports cars. It was an overhead shot looking through some tree branches. The photographer must have been up a tree.