Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dick Murphy - I'm answering my own question

Talk about a bad memory. Here I am wondering about where The Dick Murphy car has gone and right under my nose is an email the club secretary received last year from the current owner.

Hi John and fellow Bolwell car owners,
My name is Dave Hamlin and on arrival in Australia from New Zealand in 2005 I purchased a Mk. VII Bolwell in a very sad condition but mostly all there. So starts the restoration of this car which has some history of being raced by Dick Murphy, Barry Coleman and Brian Rhodes all of Western Australia. Brian Rhodes has recently seen the car and acknowledges that parts of the car did in fact come from the very car he raced and wrote off in 1976. The car was put together in WA by Dick Murphy of "Autosport", Kenwick WA and completed 03.12.69, chassis no. WA 007, engine number 186S123102. I bought the car from a WA Bolwell car club member, Stacey Nicolaou in 2006. Mostly there BUT all wrong from the way the car was originally built.

1 comment:

VK5KX said...

That depends on what you call 'originally built', the front subframe was completely changed out by John Bowles, the rear end was also changed, a special light-weight 1oz body was laid up by Cambell Bowell and shipped over to Perth, I know it was light as Dad (Dik) & I carried it into the shed.

Peter